1/23/08

iPod: my anti-Mormon

So I'm waiting at the bus stop yesterday when two females approach. They look innoculous, like college students, until I see the "Chuch of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" nametags pinned to their winter jackets. I immediately steel myself for an uncomfortable conversation about personal faith with a complete stranger.

However, the pair splits. One girl approaches the lady in front of me and strikes up some generic smalltalk, their typical lead-in. The other girl walks right past me and begins speaking to the person on my right. They decided simply to skip me. Why?

I can only assume it had something to do with the earphones I was wearing, connected to the iPod in my pocket, that was playing the latest episode of Fear The Boot.

So the next time you find yourself about to be accosted by random religiositeers, reach for your iPod (or other non-Apple-branded audio device). If you don't have one, fake it! No one has to know the headphones you are wearing aren't actually connected to something in your pocket.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I find it also helps to play AC/DC's Highway to Hell...

Even if there are no religionists in the nearby area.

Peterson

Daniel M. Perez said...

Maybe it was Fear the Boot that was the key here. ;-)

David S. Gallant said...

I have to wonder if they could even hear what I was listening to (those iPod earbuds aren't very loud even at top volume) or if they could simply SENSE it.